New York, NY – The American Kennel Club (AKC®), the world’s largest purebred dog registry and leading advocate for dogs, wishes to acknowledge those individuals who have excelled at breeding dogs that have proven to be outstanding in AKC sports. The AKC Breeder of the Year by Sport Award is given to those who have dedicated themselves to improving the health, temperament and performance of dogs in a given sport.
The 2018 Breeder of the Year by Sport award recipients are:
- Pointing Breed Field Events – James and Sarah Messer – GSP
- Retriever Field Events – Michael Beadle- Labradors
- Spaniel Field Events – David L. Morse – Springers
- Hound Field Events – Gloria LaTour- Dachshunds
- Herding – Joyce Norris – Border Collies
- Lure Coursing – Shannon Lyons – Whippets
- Earthdog – Wayne and Joyce Kirn – Border Terriers
- Coonhounds – Steven Gambel – B&T Coonhounds
- Agility – Dr. Patricia Princehouse – Pyrenean Shepherd
- Obedience – Glenda Manucy – Golden Retrievers
- Rally – Ronnie Bizer – Golden Retrievers
- Tracking – Gayle Watkins – Golden Retrievers
“Knowledgeable breeders are critical to the continued success of canine sports. These breeders have shown a long-term dedication to enhancing breed instincts and breeding sound dogs with good temperaments,” said Doug Ljungren, Executive Vice President for Sports and Events. “Their accomplishments represent the highest level of commitment to their breeds and sports.”
Each recipient received a Breeder of the Year rosette mounted in a shadow box.
The American Kennel Club salutes these individuals for their dedication and success in breeding purpose-bred dogs.
The American Kennel Club ® AKC ® is pleased to recognize breeding programs from the Sporting, Hound, Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting and Herding groups as 2021 AKC Breeder of the Year group honorees. All group recipients will receive a medallion in recognition of their achievements. The group honorees are: Sporting Group: Dyane Baldwin, Pond Hollow Chesapeakes Together with her late husband, Dyane Baldwin has been breeding Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1976.