New York, NY – The American Kennel Club (AKC®) wishes to acknowledge those individuals who have excelled at breeding dogs that have proven to be outstanding in AKC sports. The commitment to preserve, protect and improve a breed represents the very essence of the AKC.
The AKC Breeder of the Year by Sport Award is given to those who have dedicated themselves to improving the health, temperament, and performance of dogs in a given sport.
The 2022 Breeder of the Year by Sport award recipients are:
- Pointing Breed Field Events: Chet and Joanne Beckley – Vizslas
- Retriever Field Events: Charles Hines – Labradors
- Spaniel Field Events: Randy Bartsch – E. Springer Spaniels
- Hound Field Events: Jamie Sexton – Dachshunds
- Herding: Dwaine and Jan Shields – Border Collies
- Lure Coursing: Sarah Murphy – Ibizan Hounds
- Earthdog: Beverly Novak – Border Terriers
- Coonhounds: Jeff Nelson – B&T Coonhounds
- Agility: Lisa Kronz and Mary Kline – Border Collies
- Obedience: Kelly Kosinski – Golden Retrievers
- Rally: Joyce Norris – Border Collies
- Tracking: Paula Cingota – Rottweiler
“Knowledgeable breeders are critical to the continued success of canine sports. These breeders have shown a long-term dedication to enhancing breed instincts and breeding sound dogs with good temperaments,” said Doug Ljungren, Executive Vice President for Sports and Events. “Their accomplishments represent the highest level of commitment to their breeds and sports.”
Each recipient received a Breeder of the Year rosette mounted in a shadow box.
The American Kennel Club salutes these individuals for their dedication and success in breeding purpose-bred dogs.