THE WESTMINSTER KENNEL CLUB HONORS ITS ICONIC DOG SHOW WITH ONLINE “WESTMINSTER CELEBRATION WEEK” IN FEBRUARY
Sharing Fun Digital Canine Content for Loyal Fans and Dog Lovers Alike During the Club’s Traditional Dog Show Month
Join the Westminster Kennel Club for Westminster Celebration Week, a social gathering around the #WKCDogShow with fun, interactive, dog-loving content across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Because the 145th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show presented by Purina Pro Plan® will not be held on its traditional February date due to the pandemic, the club is hosting this online showcase of livestreams, videos, behind the scenes features, and a Fox Sports Westminster television marathon from Saturday, Feb. 12 through Friday, Feb. 19, 2021.
- An online showcase of agility videos, archival footage, educational offerings, and trivia
- Untold Stories, from Westminster’s presenting sponsor Purina Pro Plan®, features videos where handlers recall the emotion of their Westminster Best in Show and Group moments as they stepped onto the green carpet at Madison Square Garden
- Embark Health Summit’s Facebook Live webinar “Collaboration is Key: How Breeders and Veterinarians Shape the Next Generation of Healthy Dogs” will be on Monday, Feb. 15 at 4 p.m. EST
- CBS Sunday Morning correspondent Martha Teichner as she talks about her new memoir When Harry Met Minnie, a heart-warming story involving Bull Terriers
- Fun content from Westminster sponsors Cosequin and Trupanion
- AKC Museum of the Dog on-demand event honoring longtime WKC member and past Westminster Show Chairman Ron Menaker
- Celebrating people and their pets during American Heart Month with our friends at the American Heart Association
- FOX Sports Westminster television marathonFor a complete schedule for Westminster Celebration Week—@WKCDogs on Twitter, @westminsterkennelclub on Instagram, @WKC360 on Instagram, and @WKCDogShow on Facebook—click here.For a schedule of the FOX Sports Westminster television marathon during Westminster Celebration Week please see here.The 145th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show presented by Purina Pro Plan®, the 8th Annual Masters Agility Championship, and the 6th Annual Masters Obedience Championship will be held outdoors at the Lyndhurst Estate, a property of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, in Tarrytown, New York, from Friday, June 11 through Sunday, June 13, 2021, with TV coverage on the FOX broadcast networks.For more information on #WestminsterWeekend visit: westminsterkennelclub.org.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH
Welcome to Celebration Week
From the WKC Archives: 2008 Facebook Premiere of Uno, the Beagle.
- SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH
Premiere of the Highest Scoring All-American Dog’s run in the 8th Annual Masters Agility Championship in 2020
Agility Blooper Video
High Speed Agility Highlight Reel
- SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14TH
CBS Sunday Morning correspondent Martha Teichner talks about her new memoir When Harry Met Minnie, a heart-warming story involving Bull Terriers
#TruValentine Breeder Appreciation from Trupanion
American Heart Association Feature
- MONDAY. FEBRUARY 15TH
Westminster Marathon on Fox Sports
Marathon schedule here
Westminster hosts Embark’s Canine Health Summit Facebook Live: “Collaboration is Key: How Breeders and Veterinarians Shape the Next Generation of Healthy Dogs.” It will stream on Monday, Feb. 15 at 4 p.m. EST
Sign up here
Madison Square Garden Best in Show- Home Edition Launch
- TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16TH
Untold Stories: Exclusive interviews with winning handlers and their Purina Pro Plan® fed champions
AKC Museum of the Dog presents “Night at the Museum” honoring WKC member and former Show Chairman Mr. Ron Menaker
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17TH
WKC 360 on Instagram Introduction
Untold Stories Feature #2
- THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18TH
Untold Stories Feature #3
Westminster Celebration Week Wrap Up
- FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH
American Heart Association “Mosaic” Reveal
Looking forward to Westminster Weekend June 11th-13th
Westminster Kennel Club Social Media Gatherings
The annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show presented by Purina Pro Plan® is the iconic dog show experience known as the anchor of Westminster Week. The club’s inaugural event has grown from a 19th century, local dog show to three 21st century, globally recognized, marquis championship events highlighting conformation, agility, and obedience. Westminster’s events, an experience loved by all dog lovers, have thrived across the centuries because of the club’s dedication to, passion for, and commitment to dogs. Westminster’s stature in the dog world is highlighted by its recent success on social media growing from 2.3 million impressions in 2015 to more than 224 million in 2020. Here’s an update about what Westminster has been up to, socially speaking.
WKC360 on Instagram
Westminster has been proactively engaging new, younger audiences on social media for many years to celebrate the love of all dogs and introduce them to the companionship we enjoy with our dogs in the sport. Last year, WKC launched an account on the social media video platform TikTok to reach the Gen Z audience aged between 14- and 22-years-old. WKC’s first TikTok video posted during the 2020 dog show reached 20,000 viewers within the first 24 hours on the platform, a sizeable debut for any brand. By the end of the dog show WKC’s TikTok account had 8.4 million video views and 35,000 new, younger followers exposed to Westminster’s premier event for purebred dogs for the first time.
As a follow-up to the TikTok success, the club last fall established a new account on Instagram tailored to the dog-loving public called WKC360. This full circle approach to the world of dogs focuses on tapping into a larger, younger demographic. Instagram is home to the Gen Z and Millennial generations. The club also has been expanding its social presence as a year-around brand, beyond its prestigious sporting event in February. Because of this recent and continued growth as well as the cherished place in popular dog culture that Westminster holds, all of the club’s social channels remain active for the entire year.
“Our Best in Show moment is world famous, and with the addition of our Masters Agility and Masters Obedience championships, which include mixed-breed dogs, the club has gained a larger following,” said Westminster Kennel Club President Charlton Reynders, III. “Launching WKC360 on Instagram allows the club to stay true to our past history while positioning ourselves for an evolving future.”
Westminster’s core values of integrity, passion and education, as well as its aspirational, distinguished, and iconic tone, is broadened with the content on WKC360. A primary message Westminster promotes through its dog show and on its social channels is the special bond between dogs and people in all its forms.
“To expand our service to dogs in today’s growing dog-loving culture, it’s important to reach a younger, general audience beyond Westminster’s annual dog show,” said Westminster’s Director of Communications Gail Miller Bisher. “By sharing content created by dog lovers both inside and outside of the sport, we can expand the celebration of dogs and the companionship they give us.”
Since we are inviting a broad community of dog lovers to share their content with us, there may be mixed-breed and purebred dogs on WKC 360 that don’t fully conform to a breed standard. A majority of the images and videos posted will be user generated content (UGC) from the public. In addition to UGC content from the public and the fancy, WKC will post more Westminster imagery to @WKC360 to engage all dog lovers.
Fanciers can continue to enjoy traditional Westminster Dog Show content, that they have come to love on other platforms, Facebook, Twitter, the official @westminsterkennelclub Instagram account and YouTube.
As Westminster gets ready for the 145th Annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, please visit our website to sign up for our newsletter with the latest updates about the events at Lyndhurst Estate on June 11-13, 2021.
Photo courtesy of C. Frausini for Westminster Kennel Club.